This is by far my favourite salmon recipe. It is tried and true, flexible, and liked by toddler and husband alike. The cheese topping works beautifully with mild to more flavourful salmon choices. I always use fresh, direct from fisherman caught salmon from Skipper Otto’s Community Supported Fishery.
1/2 lb to 1 lb thawed salmon fillet (depending on the amount of cheese topping you prefer)
1/3 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup finely diced onion
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup shredded or grated fresh parmesan cheese
2 tsp mustard
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
Dash freshly ground salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Celsius.
- Keeping it nice and simple – combine all ingredients above.
- Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place salmon fillet skin down on the foil.
- Spoon cheese mixture over the top of the salmon.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until salmon is cooked through and the cheese is bubbling and flecked with golden brown.
- Let the salmon site for a couple minutes to let the cheese mixture set up, then take a spatula and run it under the salmon just above the foil and you can separate it from most of the skin which sticks to the foil.